
Where do I even start? I have been in Egypt only one week and so much has happened. I cannot wait to see what the coming months will bring. Tomorrow I will begin classes, but for the past week we have been making attempts to become acclimated. Orientation week was full of events. We arrived mid-afternoon on Wednesday to be kindly welcomed by all the MESP staff. Once we made our way across Cairo, we came to our new home in Agouza. The rest of the week has been filled with cultural briefings (i.e. clothing, safety, language, cross-gender relations, transportation, and health) and field trips. Typically the pattern was education then practice. Learn about transportation through Cairo then go out and grab a taxi. Naturally the most difficult aspect has been the language barrier. Already I have picked up quite a bit of Arabic; it is what we refer to as “survival Arabic.” These are all of the words and phrases we need to know in order to get around town and have basic conversations. We will be learning to read, write, and speak Arabic in the classroom, but I believe I have learned the most practicing it with locals.
There have been great moments of bonding for our team. This is a community full of some of the brightest college students from around the country. Every one is incredible and completely unique in them self.
The culture is completely different from any other I have experienced thus far. All of you know my travels have remained in sub-Saharan Africa where tribal traditions and hospitality flourish. Here in Egypt the people are quite different. I knew coming into the program that I would be taking on a new role as a woman. I have accepted that I need to dress and relate to men in very modest ways to the point of not even making eye contact with them. This lesson sunk in deeply one afternoon when our team was separated into groups of two (one guy, one girl) and sent off on a scavenger hunt through Agouza. You know me, assertive Tara, walked up to a man and asked for directions. He would only speak to my partner Josh when helping us find our way. From that point on I was not able to address men with Josh present. Sometimes it can also be frustrating when men constantly stare at us girls, knowing it is not simply because I am white. Sexual harassment is very common, but we have learned the best ways to respond in case something happens- shouting to draw a crowd and yelling the Arabic word for shame eyish. I have yet to sort through my feelings on this matter. I follow the guidelines out of respect for the culture, but there is something about my role as a woman that makes me uneasy.
Learning street life and language, my team, and the beginnings of the classroom are the highlights thus far. Academically we are really exploring our biases as Christians towards Muslims. We are warned from bringing complaints about Islam to the table that cannot in turn be used against Christianity. “Play by the same rules”-words from our director Dave. In the same way that we are largely ignorant and inexperienced in understanding our own religious traditions, we are not in a position to judge or deem another religion “wrong” simply because it is different than our own. I have not personally reasoned the Trinity, but fathers before me have. Just like us, Muslims have had their traditions handed down to them generation after generation. If we can take our eyes away from all the differences, we might realize how much we are alike. Are we not all made from the same Creator? How do you know that your beliefs do not exist simply because you were born into them?
There is so much more, but I will hold off until another time. Please continue to pray for me. If you are one of those people that would like specific prayer requests you can always ask the Lord for safety and provision as well as an open heart and mind. My prayers have been for the Lord to be my tongue, whether that is for learning Arabic, interacting with the locals, silence in times of submission, or communication among the team.
There have been great moments of bonding for our team. This is a community full of some of the brightest college students from around the country. Every one is incredible and completely unique in them self.
The culture is completely different from any other I have experienced thus far. All of you know my travels have remained in sub-Saharan Africa where tribal traditions and hospitality flourish. Here in Egypt the people are quite different. I knew coming into the program that I would be taking on a new role as a woman. I have accepted that I need to dress and relate to men in very modest ways to the point of not even making eye contact with them. This lesson sunk in deeply one afternoon when our team was separated into groups of two (one guy, one girl) and sent off on a scavenger hunt through Agouza. You know me, assertive Tara, walked up to a man and asked for directions. He would only speak to my partner Josh when helping us find our way. From that point on I was not able to address men with Josh present. Sometimes it can also be frustrating when men constantly stare at us girls, knowing it is not simply because I am white. Sexual harassment is very common, but we have learned the best ways to respond in case something happens- shouting to draw a crowd and yelling the Arabic word for shame eyish. I have yet to sort through my feelings on this matter. I follow the guidelines out of respect for the culture, but there is something about my role as a woman that makes me uneasy.
Learning street life and language, my team, and the beginnings of the classroom are the highlights thus far. Academically we are really exploring our biases as Christians towards Muslims. We are warned from bringing complaints about Islam to the table that cannot in turn be used against Christianity. “Play by the same rules”-words from our director Dave. In the same way that we are largely ignorant and inexperienced in understanding our own religious traditions, we are not in a position to judge or deem another religion “wrong” simply because it is different than our own. I have not personally reasoned the Trinity, but fathers before me have. Just like us, Muslims have had their traditions handed down to them generation after generation. If we can take our eyes away from all the differences, we might realize how much we are alike. Are we not all made from the same Creator? How do you know that your beliefs do not exist simply because you were born into them?
There is so much more, but I will hold off until another time. Please continue to pray for me. If you are one of those people that would like specific prayer requests you can always ask the Lord for safety and provision as well as an open heart and mind. My prayers have been for the Lord to be my tongue, whether that is for learning Arabic, interacting with the locals, silence in times of submission, or communication among the team.
Allah yisallimaku (May God preserve you)
Tara

1 comment:
Tara! I'm so glad you e-mailed me! :) I'm deffinately praying for you my dear sister. It feels like my trip to Peru was ages ago... and that you left months ago. Funny how that is. Hope to catch up with you sometime soon... I'm sure we both have a lot to share!
I love you. Te Quiero :)
Post a Comment